Studies in Japan are CSN eligible!

There are CSN-eligible studies at all our language schools. You can take out student loans and grants for living expenses, as well as cover your entire tuition fee, insurance and plane ticket.

After your school application is approved, we will help you prepare the documents you need from your school and tell you how to make the CSN application.



CSN - the basics

– You do not need to have basic eligibility to receive study funds for studies abroad. This means that as long as the school approves your application, you can study Japanese in Japan without having a full high school diploma. However, it is good to know that not all schools accept students without a high school diploma.

– If the studies do not lead to a degree, you must be 20 years old to receive study funds from CSN. This is calculated from the beginning of CSN’s calendar year, which falls on week 27 each year (ie the beginning of July).

– At some schools, it is possible to get student aid immediately after taking a high school diploma, even if you are under 20 because you are taking a degree. Contact us for more information on this.

-If you are under 20 but have turned 18, you can still study at all our language schools if you finance your studies on your own without CSN. Please contact us for how this is done and what the requirements are.

– Study funds for studies abroad are paid monthly, just like when you take study funds in Sweden. However, it is possible to get a lump sum at the beginning for the tuition fee and other costs that you have when you start studying in another country.

You can read more about this and calculate exactly how much money you can get here on CSN’s website.

find out more

Play Video


Using CSN to study in Japan

Did you know that you can use study support from CSN to study in Japan? Elin answers 5 of the most frequently asked questions about CSN for studying in Japan.


Important information about CSN

– To study in Japan with the help of CSN, the shortest possible study period is 6 months with a student visa. According to CSN, you must study for at least 13 weeks to be entitled to study funds. Tourist visas in Japan only last about 12 weeks and are not enough to meet the requirements.

– All language studies are classified as upper secondary studies. So at the same level as e.g. grown up in Sweden. This means that the studies are limited to a total of 80 or 120 weeks depending on one’s study background. If you have previously studied using study funds from CSN, we recommend that you contact them to see how many weeks you have left.

– CSN takes about 2-3 weeks to review your application. If the application is not complete and they need additional information, it will take another 2-3 weeks. Therefore, make your application in good time.

– Since you receive your payment from CSN about 2-3 weeks before the start of your studies, it is a good idea to save money for housing, accommodation, etc. already. It becomes easily stressful if you have to try to book and pay all the last minutes and it can also cause problems with your start of studies.

– Make sure that you have completed your previous courses and that the results have been reported to CSN before you start your application. It is also possible to take a study break to study Japanese in Japan.

– If you are wondering about the new CSN rules regarding studies abroad from 2018, please feel free to contact us for more specific information on how it may affect your future studies in Japan.

You can read more about CSN’s requirements and rules on the CSN website and if you have questions regarding CSN and studying in Japan, you can always email us at Go! Go! Nihon.

🎌 Join our next Webinar!

Next session → Live Student Visa Consultation